Have you always dreamt of working for yourself? Are there times when you wished that you left that mundane office job to follow your true calling? Well, you are not the only one. There are many who dream of running their own company but are scared to take the leap of faith. So what does one do? Here are eight tips to get you started.
- First, ask yourself if you are ready to be an entrepreneur. Are you always dissatisfied with everything you do? Do you feel you can do better than your peers? Do you feel you can be a better leader than your superiors? Do you have a problem working over time for your company but no problem working day and night for yourself? Do you wish you could make more and more money? Well, these are some signs that you have leadership qualities and a passion to be on your own.
- Identify your true passion. Are you great at computers? Or baking? Or even wedding planning? Well, then get started! If you don’t know where your heart lies, we suggest you speak to other entrepreneurs and read marketing and motivational books to narrow down your interests. In today’s digital era, with the click of a button, one can connect with prospective clients. One tip: don’t get into something just because your friend is into it or because it promises great money. There will be no growth or money if you don’t enjoy what you do.
- Don’t listen to the pessimists. Yes you know the drill. You will have people tell you, ‘But why take the risk?’ or ‘Why did you quit your job?’ You need not listen to them. You know what you are doing and you are going to rock it!
- Network with like-minded people. Join a local group that meets every month or attend a seminar that will help you grow in your field and network. This not only means meet people only of your level but even those above and below you in their careers. You can find mentors and also be a mentor to many.
- Promote yourself. Nowadays, one has the easiest tool for promotion – social media. Use your accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and other social networking sites to the fullest. Don’t shy away from telling people that you enjoy what you do. This will help you brand yourself and get prospective clients too.
- Find good people to work with. There is no point hiring someone whose vision doesn’t match yours. You need to find the people whose sensibilities are like yours. That’s when work becomes a pleasure.
- You can only become a successful entrepreneur when you take the first step. Yes, you may be reading lots of books and watching many motivational videos but till you take that jump, there is no hope of you becoming a successful entrepreneur. You need to walk the talk and probably, even learn the hard way sometimes.
- Know when to call it quits. It may sound pessimistic but there are times when even a brilliant idea may not work. Chuck it and start something new. But know when it do so as going further ahead in a failing business means more loss for you.
So is it time to jump on the bandwagon yet? As Steve Jobs said, “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.”