This is one show that every budding entrepreneur should watch.
‘Shark Tank’ that airs on Colors Infinity is probably the next show that the Indian reality industry will copy, rather “get inspired” by. We just hope the judges aren’t Bollywood actors and filmmakers! Jokes apart, a gripping show where start-ups come and present their ideas to a host of judges, who are successful businessmen, ‘Shark Tank’ not only teaches its viewers a thing or two about entrepreneurship but also gives serial entrepreneurs many new business ideas! Not to mention the boost it gives start-ups.
How else would you explain a PhoneSoap (a sanitizer for phones) or even rejects like Brellabox (an umbrella dispenser from which you can avail umbrellas for a steal in case of an emergency) doing great business after they come on the show?
The investors on the show are Kevin O’Leary, Barbara Corcoran, Daymond John, Robert Herjavec, Lori Greiner and Mark Cuban with the exception of some new or celebrity judges. Here are a few memorable quotes of the billionaire sharks aka judges of the show, which can teach us a thing or two about business and life!
- “I have a passion for sports – a passion for music. That doesn’t make it a business, and that doesn’t make you qualified to run the business.”
- “I still work hard to know my business. I’m continuously looking for ways to improve all my companies, and I’m always selling. Always.”
- “Work like there is someone working 24 hours a day to take it all away from you.”
- “Stop comparing yourself to everyone around you. If you are minding someone else’s business, no one is minding yours.”
- “Finding opportunity is a matter of believing it’s there.”
- “The difference between successful and unsuccessful people is how long they feel sorry for themselves.”
- “Reach for the stars; you might just catch one.”
- “Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week.”
- “Business is war. I go out there, I want to kill the competitors. I want to make their lives miserable. I want to steal their market share. I want them to fear me and I want everyone on my team thinking we’re going to win.”
- “The best motivator in the world is money and if that doesn’t work, try more money.”
- “If I were to give you that much money, I’d have to own 200 per cent of your business, your house, your car and bill you for my time.”
- “I don’t think anyone wakes up and says, ‘I want my life to suck today’.”
- “A goal without a timeline is simply a dream.”
- “It is human nature, especially as we get older, to look for stability in our lives. But if you want to be a successful entrepreneur, you have to fight against that somewhat, as starting a business requires movement. You cannot stay still.”
- “Trust is the easiest thing to sell.”
- “If people haven’t laughed at your dreams, then you aren’t dreaming big enough. Just keep pushing forward.”
- “Don’t wait for the perfect time. You will wait forever. Always take advantage of the time you are given.”